make thinkpad Fn-F12 work in sid

I went back to debian sid after using ubuntu for a few months. So far,
i've been able to configure my thinkpad t42p to resemble some ubuntu
goodies except for fn-f12: nothing happens when i hit it, as supposed
to hibernate using ubuntu. I have verified that echo disk >
/sys/power/state just works though. Any hint how ubuntu did it?
Also, how do i enable graphical notification of screen brightness in
gnome when i use the appropriate fn-key combination, similar to
ubuntu? Thanks.

--
Paolo Alexis Falcone
pfalcone@gmail.com