Ripping CDs to MP3

I am running Debian Sarge and would like to rip CDs to MP3.  I have installed GRIP, added the multimedia archive to my apt sources list, and installed as many of the encoders (lame) as I could from the multimedia archive.  I have been able to sucesstully rip a CD to OGG, but when I change the GRIP settings to use lame or one of the other mp3 encoders, I returns with a configuation error.  (Lame responds at the command line.)  Does anyone know settings that work in GRIP to rip to MP3, or where another encoder can be gotten.

Thanks in advance.

Frank Healy