Re: Font changes after dist-upgrade to Firefox2/IceWeasel

On Tue, Nov 28, 2006 at 10:49:55PM +0100, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> > After upgrading Firefox some some web pages now have much smaller fonts.  I'm
> > curious what caused that change.

> I also noticed (and disliked) this change. I think it has something to
> do with the removal of the old dpi preference setting. In firefox 1.5 I
> could simply use a dpi setting which made the average web font readable
> for me.
>
> There is a new about:config item, "layout.css.dpi", which according to
> the mozilla website should take over this functionality, but this is
> broken for me. I get serious rendering bugs if I change the default
> setting of this new item.

Ah, that seems to help.  The default is -1 which:

    "Use the host system's logical resolution or 96, whichever is
    greater,..."

So it seems on my system it was using 96.  My DPI is set correctly in
my xorg.conf (my DPI = 81) so I changed it to zero, which I assume says to use the
DPI as set in my config.  Seems to work.

Thanks,

Still, I sure wish I understood how fonts are being selected by
the browser.  It would be interesting to see what fonts get selected
when using different CSS settings, for example.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org