Re: ripping several hundred cds?

Kevin Mark wrote:

On Sun, Nov 26, 2006 at 12:03:10PM -0500, Matt Price wrote:
Hi,

for xmas I'm switching our stereo over to an electronic system --
probably a combination of an ipod and a linux player.
as part of this project I want to rip all of our cds to mp3 or ogg (if
someone has a suggestion ofr an ogg-friendly ipod-replacement?).  I'm
doing enough of these that I'd like to have as little user interaction
as possible -- just shove in the cd, have it automatically rip to a
specifed location, then eject and on to the next one.  has anyone done
anything of this kind before?  any suggestions?

thanks,

Hi Matt,
there are many programs. get cd. put in cd. hit key. wait. cd pops out.
	repeat.
The only thing that I have not figured out is how to get the best
metadata about the music. apprently not all cds have this data and some
have duplicate 'id's. So even if you get them ripped, you may not have
the metadata you want and this may require some user research and input.
cheers,
Kev
My two cents:

* Ripping can be tricky - sometimes CDs that appear to play ok show bad
  errors while ripping;
* Maybe it would be better to archive ripped tracks on FLAC (lossless, therefore,
  better), and maybe reencode to mp3 or oggvorbis for portable players.
  HDs are getting cheaper and it will take time to rip everything, anyway;
* I agree with Matt - getting the proper metadata into the ripped material
will require some user intervention. But it will pay - searching with good
  metadata is *way* better, and you'll need that improvement to find the
  stuff you want among hundreds, or maybe, thousands of files...

To rip: EAC - windows (gahh!!) machines; CDPARANOIA (really great) - linux machines
To encode: lame for mp3, ogg for ogg and flac for flac (duh!)

I have been using iTunes to edit metadata and to organize files, but I'll have
to find a better solution, since I'm moving to flac (I'm glad I found flac
at only ~10% of my 1000+ cd collection...), and since that's not free.
It is, indeed, a lot retrictive and coercitive (although less than M$ stuff
uses to be - the Zune, for instance, is a *joke* - a bad one !! ).

Cheers,
João