Re: localhost in /etc/hosts (official history note)

Hi,

On Sun, Nov 12, 2006 at 11:28:45PM +0200, Hans du Plooy wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Just wondering, which is correct:
>
> 127.0.0.1        localhost.localdomain        localhost
>
> or
>
> 127.0.0.1        localhost
>
> The linux networking howto
> (http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/NET3-4-HOWTO-5.html) muddies the water even
> more:
>
> 127.0.0.1      localhost     loopback
>
> I was always under the impression the first is the proper way.  I seem
> to be having issues with resovling localhost for some web applications
> on my Sarge server (127.0.0.1 localhost) but when I fix the hosts file,
> it works, but breaks other things (like mysql usernames).

Since I did not see pointers to the official history discussion in the
Debian weekly news, let me point you all to:
  http://www.debian.org/News/weekly/2005/43/

This was a big deal for developers too.
--------------------
| Default local Hostname. Christoph Haas [18]discovered that the local
| hostname after the installation defaults to localhost.localdomain
| instead of just localhost. Joey Hess [19]explained that the
| configuration has already been changed after the sarge release in
| reaction to Bug#[20]247734.
|
|  18. http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2005/09/msg01063.html
|  19. http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2005/10/msg00254.html
|  20. http://bugs.debian.org/247734

I hope this gives you some hints behind this situation.

Osamu