Re: Re: How can I verify hardware compatibility?

> You won't find a new "internal"
> hardware modem at any US retailer today.  They just aren't made
> any more.  Even the "controller-based with DSP" models won't
> "just work" because they don't bother with looking like UARTs
> any more.  They've got proprietary interfaces, and you can't
> tell from the packaging which chip they use, so you can't be
> sure you're getting one we have a driver for.  If you want a
> dial-up modem that "just works", get an external modem.

Last time I checked, CompUSA was considered a US retailer.

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?pfp=BROWSE&N=200052+400118&Ne=400000&product_code=289301&Pn=56K_V_92_Performance_Pro_Modem

This is a PCI faxmodem with controller, that looks like a UART to Linux.  Works great with Linux, with no extra drivers needed.  I've used it myself for a few years now, in a fax server with HylaFAX.

-- Kevin