Re: Apache2 and php4 install on etch RC1

On Sat, Nov 25, 2006 at 11:25:23PM +0200, Debeselis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried to install apache2 on my new etch system. After apache2 package
> installation I tried to install php4 package. During this package
> installation I noticed dependency problems:

<snip>
> dpkg: apache2-mpm-worker: dependency problems, but removing anyway as you
> request:
> apache2 depends on apache2-mpm-worker (>= 2.2.3-3.1) | apache2-mpm-prefork
> (>= 2.2.3-3.1) | apache2-mpm-event (>= 2.2.3-3.1); however:
>  Package apache2-mpm-worker is to be removed.
>  Package apache2-mpm-prefork is not installed.
>  Package apache2-mpm-event is not installed.
> (Reading database ... 28384 files and directories currently installed.)
> Removing apache2-mpm-worker ...
> Stopping web server (apache2)....
> Selecting previously deselected package apache2-mpm-prefork.
>

> So my question is - is it normal that php4 want to uninstall this package?
> Is it safe to ignore this thing? Thanks.

It is perfectly normal.  It is not really a dependency problem since
another package is immediately substituted to meet the dependency.  The
reason it happens is that php is not threadsafe (why, oh why?).  Since
the worker MPM uses threads, it is not compatible with php, and you must
use prefork instead.

Regards,

-Roberto

--