Re: What's the difference between updatedb and /etc/cron.daily/find?

2006/11/23, michael <michael@estone.ca>:
On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 12:03:49 -0700, Chris Purves wrote
> I am seeing different results from /etc/cron.daily/find and running
> updatedb from the command line:
>
> aims-07:~# /etc/cron.daily/find
> aims-07:~# locate Access.pm
> aims-07:~# updatedb
> aims-07:~# locate Access.pm
> /home/httpd/twiki/lib/TWiki/Access.pm
> aims-07:~# /etc/cron.daily/find
> aims-07:~# locate Access.pm
> aims-07:~#
>
> What are the differences between these and why does the daily cron
> job find less files than running updatedb?  I have a standard
> install and have not modified either /etc/updatedb.conf
or /etc/cron.daily/find.
> I see the same behaviour on both stable and testing installs.

I will take a stab at this and say that perhaps the cron.daily find command
is run as the user "nobody" and so it only updates the locatedb for
files that nobody can read.
Please correct me if thats incorrect.

You're right michael.
And it works that way for a good reason: you don't want users to know
about files that only root is supossed to know.

Best,
Gabriel.