Re: Dirty spam

I do something very similar. In fact, I just had to change out my mailserver, and wound up changing from Kolab/Kroupware to Zimbra (community edition). I highly recommend Zimbra if anyone is looking.

--b

----- Original Message -----
From: David E. Fox <dfox@m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Sent: Thursday, November 23, 2006 0:17:59 AM GMT-0500 US/Eastern
Subject: Re: Dirty spam

On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 03:40:00 +0100
Michelle Konzack <linux4michelle@freenet.de> wrote:

> How many peoples have there OWN mailservers?

/me does. Actually I cheat a bit. Most (99%) of mail I just have sent
to my dsl address - and that gets processed by my mail server which is
slightly to the left of me on the floor :).

OTOH I have a tsoft.com backup email address but 99% of that is just
spam right now. It used to be manageable but the amount of spam has
simply gotten out of control in the last couple of weeks. Spamassassin
manages to pick out a good portion of it, but not everything. It *used*
to catch nearly everything out there. But I had to rebuild my system
recently and reinstalled spamassassin along with everything else.

One point - one seems to need some other libraries in order to get
spamassassin to process most of he spam that it used to process before.
In particular, I installed libnet-dns-perl and the result was that
spamassassin performed more DNS related tests on the incoming messages
that it wasn't doing before.

I've also tried installing the fuzzy OCR plugin, to hopefully combat
the tide of spammers sending phony pump & dump stock spam as attached
gifs/jpgs. But that doesn't seem to work.