fonts not working in firefox/ icedove

Hello!

I recently did an apt-get upgrade on my i386 etch system and now the
font rendering in icedove and firefox seems to be broken. For example,
in my list of emails I onlt see the subject and other text information
about the email when i click on the email. In firefox, I have to drag
the window off the screen the back on again to be able to see the web
page. Openofice seems to work fine. The gnome console also has problems.
 Xterm is fine.

Can anyone suggest how I can get this foxed? I tried creating a new user
and testing with a fresh gnome  config but that did not work - the fonts
behaved the same. I tried an upgrade to unstable and a reboot to refresh
all the cached libraries etc (slightly superstitious), that didn't fix
it either.

cheers

matthew