Re: UNdelete ???

>> Which filesystem?

>I am using ext3. I do not understand why this matters.

How a filesystem manages its unallocated space is up to it - there is no
specification for this. This is one reason people say you do not need to
defragment ext2/3 filesystems - because they are clever about how they
lay out the disk.

When you delete a file, the space it occupied becomes unallocated,
available for reallocation to other files as needed.

To undelete a file, you need to know the internals of the filesystem
structure to recover the contents - if it is still available at all.