Re: 64 bit downloading and kernel upgrade problem

Thanks to nishant, kumar, mike and all others for the help. With etch,
debian got installed without a hitch...and kernel upgrade also worked
fine.

Now to some other issues:
1> auto mounting cd, floppy etc...
I created a file /etc/auto.media with the lines:
cdrom   -fstype=iso9660,ro,sync,nodev,nosuid    :/dev/cdrom
floppy  -fstype=auto,sync,nodev,nosuid          :/dev/fd0
usb     -fstype=ext3                            :/dev/sdb1

added the following line in /etc/auto.master
/media  /etc/auto.media         --timeout=600

but still these devices do not automount. why? (i did restart autofs
before trying) If i explicitly use mount command, they do mount on the
same device and mountpoint. Also my machine is an nfs client and i have
configured to automount server nfs disks...that works fine. So have i done
anything wrong in /etc/auto.media?

Also my machine has some 6 usb ports...1 is utilised for my usb mouse. How
do i can configure automount to simultaneously mount more than one
pendrive/usb-hard-disk etc? (whichever usb plugin point i use, dmesg
always shows a usb device on sdb1...haven't put two simultaneously and
checked though)

2> Sound problems...
cannot get sound working...alsaconf worked fine (but lspci did not catch
any sound card). Here is the output for 'cat /etc/modprobe.d/sound'
alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
options snd-hda-intel index=0

I get errors of the kind 'failed to open device /dev/dsp' or 'failed to
open device /dev/mixer' though both of these exist (I can run alsamixer as
root but not as user...it says
alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such device

I have not tried sound before on debian but i ollowed the steps suggested
online. Is there anything else i need to do?

Thanks and Regards,
Arvind