Re: apt-get -f install failing

Florian,

Thanks, that did the trick! At least apt-get now thinks I have a sane system. aptitude disagrees but I guess I'll follow the other advice I got and stick with one system.

Thanks again!
Paul

On 11/20/06, Florian Kulzer <florian@molphys.leidenuniv.nl> wrote:
On Mon, Nov 20, 2006 at 08:22:53 -0500, Paul van Wamelen wrote:
> I'm trying to install some packages but seem to have gotten the package
> manager thoroughly confused:
>
> When trying to install anything I get the "unmet dependencies" error with
> the suggestion to run "apt-get -f install". Doing that I get the following
> two errors:
>
> Removing kdebluetooth ...
> dpkg-divert: mismatch on divert-to
>  when removing `diversion of /usr/bin/kdesktop_lock to
> /usr/bin/kdesktop_lock_nobt by kdebluetooth'
>  found `diversion of /usr/bin/kdesktop_lock to /usr/bin/kdesktop_lock.orig
> by kdelock-knoppix'
> dpkg: error processing kdebluetooth (--remove):
> subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 2
> Removing rserve ...
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/rserve.postrm: line 15: R: command not found
> dpkg: error processing rserve (--remove):
> subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 127
>
> Can someone please suggest the next thing to try?

First of all, neither "kdelock-knoppix" nor "rserve" are proper Debian
packages. This means that I cannot know what side-effects my proposed
actions will have. I will try to help you, but it has to be clear that
if you follow my advice you do so at your own risk. I cannot guarantee
anything. (Maybe a Knoppix list would be a better place to seek help.)

The first problem is that kdebluetooth and kdelock-knoppix play
tug-of-war with a dpkg diversion. This might be fixable by temporarily
removing kdelock-knoppix, then removing kdebluetooth and finally
reinstalling kdelock-knoppix. Try

dpkg --remove --force-depends kdelock-knoppix
dpkg --remove kdebluetooth
dpkg --install /var/cache/apt/archives/kdelock-knoppix_*.deb

If this fails it might be necessary to resort to harsher measures:

dpkg --remove --force-overwrite --force-overwrite-diverted kdebluetooth

The last resort is:

dpkg --remove --force-all kdebluetooth

The problem with rserve is caused by its post-removal script which tries
to call "R" and fails because you probably do not have "r-base-core"
installed. So you can either

- install r-base-core temporarily, if necessary by means of manual
  download and "dpkg --install"

or

- comment out line 15 (and maybe more lines) in
  /var/lib/dpkg/info/rserve.postrm

or

- create a fake "R" symlink to /bin/true:
  ln -s /bin/true /usr/bin/R
  (Remove this again when you are done!)

One of these tricks might allow you to complete the removal of rserve.

I hope this helps, but please remember that I cannot and do not
guarantee anything.

--
Regards,
          Florian