Re: 64 bit downloading and kernel upgrade problem

On 11/20/06, Arvind Marathe <arvind@mbu.iisc.ernet.in> wrote:
i tried with
apt-cache search ^linux-image
and it gave me nothing. So i tried
apt-cache search ^kernel-image
and from that output, did
apt-get build-dep kernel-image-2.6.8-3-686
followed by
apt-get install kernel-image-2.6.8-3-686
But on rebooting, i again run into kernel panic.

What is the error message just before the kernel goes for a picnic ;-)
Lets find out the reason for the error first because it is going to
run into trouble again after an upgrade, even if you go by that
document.

For upgrading the kernel, I would have added the sources for
testing/unstable repositories in the /etc/apt/sources.list file to
install the latest kernel available. After that comment out those
lines again so that my system has only Sarge packages.

regards,
Nishant