Re: [OT] looking for a image (re)compressing tool

On Sun, Nov 19, 2006 at 11:31:26 -0500, T wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there any command line tool that can take a jpeg file and re-compress it
> with a new compress level/factor?
>
> I looked into the ImageMagick package, seems that none of the convert(1),
> identify(1),  composite(1),  montage(1),  compare(1), display(1),
> animate(1), import(1), conjure(1) can do that.

I think convert can do what you want (unless I misunderstood you):

convert -quality XX old.jpg new.jpg

where XX is the quality (in percent) that you want for new.jpg; lower
quality = higher compression ratio with stronger jpeg artefacts.

--
Regards,
          Florian