Re: Remote Install

On Sat, Nov 18, 2006 at 02:00:08PM -0800, Jason Self wrote:
> Somewhere in a basement on the other side of the planet from me sits a
> machine with an x86 processor, no OS, and 160GB of local drive space.
> I want to install Debian Sarge onto it. The only person near enough to
> do it has no computer experience, although I've convinced them &
> they're willing to do as much as pressing the power button and
> inserting a CD.
>
> My question is how to get Debian onto such a machine. My first thought
> was to hack debian-31r4-i386-netinst.iso so that it immediately sets
> up the network connection via DHCP and run sshd. Then I can run the
> installer remotely.
>
> There doesn't seem much data on Google about what to alter on the .iso
> to bring up networking and ssh on boot. Any input?
the best way is to prepare. Get an extra machine. put it on the local
network and do all the step yourself first. write them down. then do it
until you think that the other person will have enough clear information
to duplicate what you did. A live cd is a good thing to use to get a)
the hardware recognized b) get a network interface up c) get it
connected to a dhcp server d) get it setup with a public ip
or manybe use rdesktop to control the livecd? look at debootstrap as a
way to make a basic system.
cheers,
Kev