umount /proc/bus/usb/ && modprobe -r usbcore??

Hi

I run a mostly-ubuntu system on my dell latitude d820, but pull a few
packages from Sid & compile my kernels from debian sources which I
patch with the suspend2 patches, because suspending to ram and to disk
are both unreliable with the ubuntu kernels.

In recent weeks something has happened that makes suspending
unreliable even with my custom kernels.  fortunately suspend2 at least
provides debugging info (unlike the in-kernel swsusp) and the problem
seems to stem from the usb subsystem somehow.  THis is wierd, because
I have no usb devices plugged in and I can't detect ANY differences
between the stretches of time when suspending works reliably, and the
increasingly frequent periods when it doesn't work at all.  But anyway
for now I'm just trying to confirm that the problem really is related
to usb.

so, I'm trying to  modprobe -r all the usb-related modules, but I'm
not able to do this with usbcore;
modprobe -r usbcore
returns "FATAL: Module usbcore is in use."

However, I can unload all the other usb modules and "lsmod" doesn't
show usb being used by anything else.  I thought the problem might
have to do with the /proc/bus/usb/  filesystem, and indeed I had
trouble umounting that, but after "umount -l /proc/bus/usb" I still
get the same "FATAL" error.

so I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me what I need to do to
diable the whole usb subsystem before a suspend.  obviously
re-enabling itwill be its own issue down the road...

thanks,

matt