UDEV Question

Anyone here have a Microtek SCSI scanner?

In the past I've used scsiadd -s which would add the new device, this
still works with udev but the symbolic link/permissions/etc are never
created correctly.

When I run the udev scan utility, my model does not have a specific name,
just "Scanner" - but I have tried out / followed all the howtos and cannot
get it to work 'automatically' - instead I have to ln -s /dev/<device>
/dev/scanner && chmod 666 /dev/device manually.

Anyone else have issues getting udev to support their scanner when they
'hot-add' it with scsiadd -s?