Re: Smoothing disk I/O

On Sat, 2006-11-18 at 14:00 -0800, Todd A. Jacobs wrote:
> Is there a mechanism for smoothing disk I/O in a similar fashion using
> nice to smooth CPU usage? I often find that certain disk-intensive tasks
> put the system into high wait-state load averages, and system
> performance as a whole suffers.
>
> Nicing the process doesn't really help, as the system won't release
> anything in a wait state. The recent Debian scheduler defaults to CFQ;
> is this optimal? What other things can I do to keep the system from
> being unresponsive during heavy I/O?

In SUSE 10.1 there's a command /usr/bin/ionice in the util-linux
package.  I just checked, sarge doesn't have it.  The util-linux package
in SUSE has many more commands, so I'm not sure if it's an alternative
version or if just more options are enabled at compile time.

But either ways, maybe you can download the source and give it a try.

Hans