Re: aptitude dist-upgrade removes important packages

There is obviously something wrong because I use many of these packages. It wants to remove whole gnome. If I use apt-get, 0 packages are to be removed.

Is this some bug in aptitude?

I think you can simply, under the Actions menu, choose "Cancel Pending Actions", which should set things straight. If not, then, as others have mentioned, you may have to unmark some of the packages as "Auto" (aka, marking them "Manual"). This option is under the Package choices, on the top menu items in the blue area. Or, the keybindings are "m" for Manual and "M" for Auto.

I find this sometimes happens with aptitude if you've used synaptic, or apt-get, to alter your system (upgrade, remove, or add packages). The dependency settings become altered, and suddenly half the system is labelled as "unused". To avoid this, if you intend to use aptitude, simply use aptitude for all your upgrades, additions, and removals (I use Synaptic sometimes only to search for programs, but never to install stuff). This will maintain consistency in what is seen as Auto (Automatically installed to satisfy a dependency) and what is manually installed.

Mark