Re: aptitude dist-upgrade removes important packages

On Fri, Nov 17, 2006 at 05:27:27PM +0100, Marko Randjelovic wrote:
> When I run "aptitude dist-upgrade", it says some packages will be removed:
>
> The following packages are unused and will be REMOVED:
>  bug-buddy eog esound fast-user-switch-applet file-roller gcalctool
>  gconf-editor gdm gedit gedit-common gnome-backgrounds gnome-cards-data
>  gnome-core gnome-games gnome-games-data gnome-keyring-manager
>  gnome-nettool gnome-system-tools gnome-themes gnome-utils gnomemeeting
>  gtk2-engines gtk2-engines-pixbuf gtkhtml3.8 gucharmap guile-1.6-libs
>  industrial-cursor-theme libavahi-compat-howl0 libdmx1 libgnomevfs2-bin
>  libgtkhtml3.8-15 libgtksourceview-common libgtksourceview1.0-0
>  libguile-ltdl-1 libopenh323-1.18.0 libpt-1.10.0 libpt-plugins-alsa
>  libpt-plugins-v4l python-gnome2-desktop system-tools-backends vino zenity
>  zip
>
> There is obviously something wrong because I use many of these packages.
> It wants to remove whole gnome. If I use apt-get, 0 packages are to be
> removed.
>
> Is this some bug in aptitude?

What has likely happened is that one of these packages keeps the others
installed.  It was installed to meet some dependancy and is not
required any more to meet that dependancy.

Run aptitude interactive.  Go down the list and ensure that anything you
want installed (as opposed to installed to meet a dependancy) is set to
manual install.  For example, go to gnome-core and ensure that it
doesn't show that its automatically installed if you want gnome.  Ditto
zip.

Doug.