Re: Etch status..?

cga2000 wrote:
> I have heard rumors that etch will soon become stable.
>
> Would any one know when this is likely to happen?

Current schedule is end of this year. [1]

> Or is it already "frozen" and I could start my reinstall this coming
> week-end without having to do it all over again when it becomes stable?

Part is frozen.

> This is a laptop with a pcmcia NIC.  Back in April, I spent over two
> months trying to install etch but I  was never able to finish the
> install.  The etch installer just did not recognize the NIC .. I was
> never able to bring up a network connection .. as a result I ended up
> with an etch install that I could not finalize.  Since the stable etch
> installer probably won't work any better with this laptop .. and since
> the sarge installer did work .. I was thinking the above might be the
> best solution.

How do you come to the conclusion that the stable etch installer
wouldn't work better with that laptop? If any linux works with your nic,
so should debian etch and it's installer (except perhaps, if it needs
some non-free firmware). The installer team has made some great progress
with the installer, recently releasing the current release candidate
[2]. I guess you have a fair chance to give it a try. You should also
send a report about your installation to either confirm that everything
went smoothly or to help improving things for the future.

Johannes

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2006/11/msg00004.html
[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2006/11/msg00003.html