Re: Etch status..?

On Thu, Nov 16, 2006 at 08:22:47PM -0500, cga2000 wrote:
> I need to upgrade my current sarge to something more current.
>
> Is this the recommended procedure -- the one less likely to provide
> major headaches:
>
> 1. Install sarge on a new partition
> 2. Wait till etch become stable.
> 3. Do a blind upgrade.
> 4. Customize.
>
> I need to re-install sarge  because I have had to install practically
> every app that I use from source.  The .deb's were missing important
> configure options that I could not do without and I was unable to figure
> out how to create my own.
>
> Another reason I'd rather do a new install is that I need a working
> system while I am building the new one. Besides, I will be able to refer
> to my current system for the customization of the new one.
>
> I have heard rumors that etch will soon become stable.
>
> Would any one know when this is likely to happen?
>
> Or is it already "frozen" and I could start my reinstall this coming
> week-end without having to do it all over again when it becomes stable?

From what I know, my best guess is december-january. The release team
has already started to freeze part of the basic system (where freeze is
the release state before stable aka etch) and the rc bug count is less
that 200. If you want any more info, Steve Langasek and Andreas Barth
(the relase managers) are making updates on planet[0]. Here is a
URL[1] to a png of the rc bug count.
Cheers,
Kev
[0] http://planet.debian.org