Re: mplayer

On Thu, Nov 16, 2006 at 12:46:07PM +0000, Barney Rubble wrote:

> http://people.debian.org/~mjr/legal/mplayer.html
>
> reads:
>
> Q.   Is mplayer in debian?
>
> A.   Yes, since Oct 2006. It may be part of the next release Debian 4.0
> (codename "etch").
>

> Where? I run etch and don't see it anywhere when in the aptitude lists.
all bug fixes and new packages enter the Debian release cycle by being
put into unstable. after various things happen(testing by users, ...)
they are ok'd by 'britney' (a debian internal program) and enter
testing. But if a newer packages is created, the testing version of a
package will be removed and then a new version will replace it, from
unstable. So, packages enter unstable then go to testing. But they can
be removed from testing. At this point mplayer is in unstable and will
enter testing when 'britney' says so. When this happens, and other
pacakges are ready to be released, then the release managers will move
the entire 'etch' into the next phase, 'freeze' and then when its 100%
ready, 'stable' aka Etch.
-Kev