Re: Etch status..?

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 20:22:47 -0500
cga2000 <cga2000@optonline.net> wrote:

> I need to upgrade my current sarge to something more current.
>
> Is this the recommended procedure -- the one less likely to provide
> major headaches:
>
> 1. Install sarge on a new partition
> 2. Wait till etch become stable.
> 3. Do a blind upgrade.
> 4. Customize.
>
> I need to re-install sarge  because I have had to install practically
> every app that I use from source.  The .deb's were missing important
> configure options that I could not do without and I was unable to
> figure out how to create my own.
>
> Another reason I'd rather do a new install is that I need a working
> system while I am building the new one. Besides, I will be able to
> refer to my current system for the customization of the new one.
>
> I have heard rumors that etch will soon become stable.
>
> Would any one know when this is likely to happen?
>
> Or is it already "frozen" and I could start my reinstall this coming
> week-end without having to do it all over again when it becomes
> stable?
>
> Thanks
>
> cga
>
> Note:
>
> This is a laptop with a pcmcia NIC.  Back in April, I spent over two
> months trying to install etch but I  was never able to finish the
> install.  The etch installer just did not recognize the NIC .. I was
> never able to bring up a network connection .. as a result I ended up
> with an etch install that I could not finalize.  Since the stable etch
> installer probably won't work any better with this laptop .. and since
> the sarge installer did work .. I was thinking the above might be the
> best solution.

I don't know if there is a recommended procedure, but if there was one
my guess would be to use a net-install cd and install from a mirror.
Once installed you should not have to re-install... ever.

I have been using Etch since 00.org hit v. 2.0, a year or so, while
updating when reading the users list indicated it was safe, for my
skill level to upgrade.

The laptop pcmcia card issue is a trial an error issue, if Etch doesn't
support it, use sarge and do a minimal install, change your sources
list to Etch and do a full install. Use 'dpkg get-selections & 'dpkg
set-selections to get the packages installed the same as the old
install. man dpkg.

--
Greg Madden