Re: debian 3.1r3 netinstall cd couldn't be mounted

On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 05:43:48PM -0800, deva seetharam wrote:
> hello all,
> i have a system with a gigabyte mobo (ga-965sp-s3) with intel Pentium-D 925 processor. i am trying to install debian stable (3.1 r3) using the netinstall cd. although the cd is read and i get the "press F1 for help or ENTER for boot:" message, the CDROM mounting step fails with the message "CDROM couldn't be mounted".
> i tried the expert option and tried the steps given below.
>

> could anyone pls. help?
>
> some relevant details
> ================
> 1. the cd-rom drive is a ide dvd-writer.
> 2. the hard drive uses SATA.
>

> "expert"
>  before the "detect & mount cdrom" step I started a shell
>     (<ctrl><alt><F2>)
>  and gave these commands
>     modprobe ide-core options="ide=nodma"
>     modprobe piix
>     modprobe ide-detect
>  Back in the main installer screen. I selected the
>     detect & mount cddrom
>  option. This took me to a long list of modules that autodetection
>  suggested were necessary.
>     I turned off all but these: ide-disk, ide-cd, isofs

What happens if you let it install that long list of modules?

Try:
	After you let it install them, and it fails,
	go to the second terminal and do dmesg|less (or more) and see
	how the CDROM is detected and what its put (hdb?).

	Once you know that, try mounting it manually (ensure that /cdrom
	exists)

		mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdx /cdrom

	see what error messages you get.

You may have a problem whereby the Sarge isn't seeing the SATA drive as
a SATA but is assigning it to an hdx instead; you may need Etch for your
SATA controller.

Perhaps the DVD writer is somewhat strange/new and the installer (being
old) is looking for a regular CD.  Try swapping in a plain CDROM drive.

Doug.