Re: Installing Debian

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 21:28:02 -0500 (EST), "Philippe Faure"
<philippe@OCML.ca> said:
> I was wondering, instead of burning a CD for a one time install. Was
> there
> a way to copy the minimal files (OS, and networking) to a floppy disk and
> then run the rest of the install from there? This would
> 1- not require to burn a CD to install Debian
> 2- You woudl download only the apps that you wanted.
>
> Thank you
>
> Philippe

Until recently when I moved to testing for the first time I always
installed debian this way. If you're lucky you'll need just two floppy
images:

ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/installer-i386/current/images/floppy/boot.img
ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/installer-i386/current/images/floppy/root.img

and I think if you have a less common ethernet card you'll also need:

ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/installer-i386/current/images/floppy/net_drivers.img

And it all works beautifully.

However, there are no boot/root images under:

ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/main/installer-i386/current/images/floppy

and anything I tried resulted in errors messages - missing kernel header
files, I seem to recall. Consequently I've never managed to install
testing (etch) with anything less than a business card image burned onto
a CD - and that I had to get from an unofficial source. Maybe I'm
missing something, but I don't know what it is...