Re: Failing to use Linux PC as router

On Sun, Nov 12,  I asked for help connecting my new AMD 64
to the Internet. The help I got. The postings I received were
printed and then deleted. so please excuse that i do neither
top quote nor post quote.

Douglas Tutty suggested to use ipmasq or shorewall for the basic
firewall and dnsmasq for resolv.conf of computer OLD and not to
try to do too much in /etc/network/interfaces. He was right, of
course. Ipmasq produced a battery of filtering rules, including
the NAT rules and forwarding rules I needed, and all those rules
look quite plausible. Forwarding is on in sysctl of both compu-
ters. I simply was not sure if this would be the case after a
reboot, too. My attempts to formulate iptable rules were weird
indeed, as Jochen Schulz quite correctly wrote.

Russel L. Harris suggested SmoothWall and thought I should recon-
figure or reinstall Debian on the AMD 64. Well, I was not quite
content with the partitioning on my first install. So I reinstal-
led and even dared to reduce the XP Partition I hardly ever shall
use from about 150 to about 40 GB - well, and this time the net
install made me select a Debian mirror and loaded file after file
an Etch system including Xorg and Openoffice and Firefox etc. etc.
instead of the minimal system before. Well, there is Gnome which I
shall have a hard time to get rid of next week or so, and the net
connection is a hotplug one which I still must find out how to
launch. But the weeks of running in circles through matters I prac-
tically nothing knew of have passed, and now I can move along on
familiar grounds. Thank you, all of you.

I liked to read that Hugo Vanwoerkom can't tell whether his third
computer is losing flexibility and efficiency. The Debian user
community will be glad if he goes on posting interesting things
for long years. As far as I am concerned, I think I remember
that I, too, did not feel such a loss when I was as a young man
that much below seventy. But my memory is not too strong, you
know - wasn't that in a millenium long gone?

Yours
Hans