Re: Reporting brute force ssh login attempts

Hi Peter,

Peter Colton wrote:
A handy tool I use to cut down on ssh brute force attacks is fail2ban : You can install it from backports.org. Add the backport url to your sources.list
http://www.backports.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=instructions
Then after you have installed fail2ban comment out www.backports.org url in your apt sources.list so that you will not bring in any unwanted packages in the future.

http://fail2ban.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/README
http://www.ducea.com/2006/07/03/using-fail2ban-to-block-brute-force-attacks/
http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/fail2ban.htm

Thank you. That looks like a useful tool. I have already installed it on one server to see how it goes. Is there some way of also automatically reporting these ip's so that whoever is responsible for that server is alerted to a worm or whatever might be causing this?

Shri

--
Shri Shrikumar
Technologist Extraordinaire