Re: Reporting brute force ssh login attempts

On 11/15/06, Shri Shrikumar <shri@kraya.co.uk> wrote:
Hi All,

I have a few servers on which there is a regular penetration attempts
using brute force password guessing bots.

There is little risk to the server but am getting more and more annoyed
by this and as far as I can see am left with two options.

1. Report each ip address that does this. However, a lot of them seems
to be from asia with no proper abuse@ address to contact. Additionally,
this can be very time consuming.

2. Change the port number that ssh uses to something else. This has the
annoyance that I need to pass the new port number in each time I want to
log-in.

3. Ignore the issue. Very annoying since logwatch and logcheck
constantly complain about it. However, I can add filters so it annoys me
less.

Is there a another option? Alternatively, is there a way of
automatically reporting offending ip's?

Hello,

you could try to use denyhosts.

Best regards,