Re: mini-itx server

Martinez Perez Alberto:

> I'm planning to install a home server. I would like to install apache,
> mysql, a firewall and oracle. I'm considering to use a mini-itx
> mainboard. Does anyone has tried it? I don't know if it will be able
> to support the installation.

I am running a mini-itx board with a VIA Samuel 2 CPU (800MHz) for two
years now without problems. Only recently I have run into its
limitations because it isn't 686 compatible (only 586) and therefore
cannot run Xen.

If you are seriously considering Oracle, you should be careful when
choosing a mainboard, though. Oracle needs a lot of RAM (IIRC more than
512MB, but I am not sure), so pick a mainboard that uses DDR RAM instead
of SD. DDR should be a lot cheaper.

J.
--
Thy lyrics in pop songs seem to describe my life uncannily accurately.
[Agree]   [Disagree]