kernel upgrading

While I am OK with debian etch amd64 (kernel 17), I found difficulties in
upgrading i386 from 15-1 to 17, using module-assistant. Because linux kernel
installs, I guess I was unable to get rid from my current X installation
(which was made long ago from debian packages: legacy; however, I can not
rule out that there is some residual vidia component that is really the one
that hinders the process).

In combination, I never succeeded with i386 to print from kde applications,
although I de-installed everything and re-installed according to current
procedures (I always have to transfer to either OpenOffice or Adobe to get
printing).

I would be happy to solve both problems together. Hope to get suggestions.
Thank you

Sincerely
francesco pietra