Typing characters with byte value greater than 0x7f.

Hi all,

I have searched for some time now for a method by which I can enter
characters from (say) ISO 8859-1 in X applications.  In essence I would
like to insert a "DEGREE SIGN" into an email for example.  Anyone using
codepage 437 on windows or ISO 8859-1 in Linux should see a ° (I hope
you see it too ;-) I believe.

Now I realise I can achieve this using KCharSelect, but is there a
keyboard only way?  Similar to Alt-176 for example?

I have tried wading through the multitude of google hits but cannot seem
to find an answer.

Regards,
James.

P.S. Please reply to me direct - I'm not subscribed.