Re: Broken MBR

John Graves wrote:
I needed more room so I reduced the size of an unused Windows/NTFS partition and increased the Linux ext3 partition using QParted. This broke the MBR so when I boot, I get a string of 9's and nothing else happens. How can I restore the MBR? I was using lilo if that makes a difference. I have a copy of the original sarge disk1 and a Knoppix 5.0 disk at home. Will either of these simplify the repair/

Next time use
mkrescue --iso
which creates a bootable CD iso file + burn that to CD.
Then when you lose your MBR or have it overlaid by M$ then you can boot from the CD.

Hugo