Re: localhost in /etc/hosts

On 13.11.06 13:21, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> On 2006-11-13 10:48:12 +0100, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
> > some time ago I was pondering about this issue, because having
> > 'fnote' (name of by notebook) as first caused problems with some
> > services expecting 127.0.0.1 to map to localhost (which is imho a
> > MUST), and 'hostname -s' returned 'localhost' if localhost was the
> > first one.
>
> Perhaps because you didn't have a /etc/hostname file?

I do and I did. However, "hostname -s", contrary to hostname's manual page,
does not return first segment of the system hostname, but resolves the FQDN
first and returns first segment of the resulting hostname. See my (refused)
bugreport: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=345761

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.