Re: localhost in /etc/hosts

On Sun, Nov 12, 2006 at 08:57:01PM -0500, Douglas Tutty wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 02:07:52AM +0100, David Jardine wrote:
>
> > To muddy the water a little more, I have
> >
> > 127.0.0.1	quash	localhost	loopback
> >
> > where "quash" is the name of the machine.  I don't remember how I came
> > to do this, but it must have been from some debian documentation.
> >
> I guess that would be for a computer with no network access (other, I
> suppose, than ppp).

Well, it's actually linked to another machine here at home with the
name "beetroot" and an /etc/hosts entry:

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain	localhost	beetroot

Again, I don't remember why I put it there, but I was messing around
with ftp, ssh, dns, fileserving and I don't know what, just to see
how they worked.

I haven't had any trouble as I recall, but I haven't used, for
example, mysql, which I think was the original poster's problem

--
David Jardine

"Running Debian GNU/Linux and
loving every minute of it."  -L. von Sacher-M.(1835-1895)