Re: Mail sent to "users" in /etc/aliases

On 12.11.06 17:16, Bill Moseley wrote:
> My /etc/aliases file has entires like this:
>
>     daemon: root
>     bin: :fail: Unknown User
>     sys: root
>     sync: root
>     games: root
>     man: root
>     lp: root
>     mail: root
>     news: root
>     uucp: root
>     proxy: root
>     postgres: root
>     www-data: root
>
> When would mail ever get delivered *to* those addresses?

If they have cron jobs, their output is sent to them for example.

> Will anything break if mail can't be delivered to "www-data", for example?

Nothing should, but you may loose e.g. output from the cron jobs...

> I've been getting more spam lately addresses to common unix users, so
> I'm thinking about rejecting mail to those users -- well, any user
> that is not listed in a separate "valid-users" type of file.

I disabled receiving the mail for them via SMTP (I use virtusertable,
aliased them all to e.g. root@localhomain, and disabled all traffic to
recipients @hostname, except postmaster@hostname).

I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe.