Re: Etch kernel

Amit Joshi wrote:
On Sunday 12 November 2006 19:29, Colin wrote:
Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
Hope that's true and that they stay with a 2.6.17 kernel...
Why not a 2.6.18 kernel?

If the OP wants to know what kernel will be shipped with the Official Release of Debian Etch, then I think its gonna be the 2.6.17 Kernel. Cuz as most of us already know, whenever an Debian releases a new version, the software is rigorously tested. So I guess they will keep up wih the already_in_testing kernel - 2.6.17 (I don't know what sub-version-number will be used though. 2.6.17-2 ..maybe! )

Again, Sarge was released when there were 2.6 kernel versions lying around. But the Debian developers decided to include the 2.4 kernel as the default one. Reason being the kernel was exhaustively tested for stability. But I guess if the user wants to use some other version of kernel, it maybe included in the CD too. (tagged as unstable) For example, the Sarge CDs provide the 2.6.8 (tagged as unstable) kernel. Regards, Amit.
I am even surprised they went this far ahead. When Sarge was released with 2.6.8, there was already 2.6.11 (three releases back). And Debian 4.0 should be released in December with 2.6.17 and newest is 2.6.18 (only one release back).

I am afraid next release will not be so stable, or they will delay it. What do you think?