Re: Kernel compile the old way

Amit Joshi wrote:
On Saturday 11 November 2006 22:00, John Hasler wrote:
Amit Joshi writes:
What exactly are the advantages of using an initrd?
For a distribution kernel it provides support for all possible permutations
and combinations of hardware.  I don't know of any advantages for a custom
kernel.
--
John Hasler

Oh..thanks for the information. Now I know why custom built kernels don't have initrd images. :)

Not exactly. I use a custom kernel and the suspend2 patch. That enables you to suspend/resume and show the progress of that process with a userui.

But if you want to see the progress on *resume* you have to use an initrd that loads the userui *before* the kernel gets control.

Sad to say it doesn't work. Tried it with yaird.

Problem: yaird uses Perl to put the initrd together but not too much in the way of info as to what actually happens.

Hugo