Re: ftp.tux.org errors during apt package updates

On Sat, Nov 11, 2006 at 04:13:25PM +0000, 46kmz5j02@sneakemail.com wrote:
> For about two weeks, I have been getting the following
> errors when running 'aptitude update' or 'apt-get update':

[snip]
> W: Couldn't stat source package list ftp://ftp.tux.org etch/non-free Packages
> (/var/lib/apt/lists/ftp.tux.org_java_debian_dists_etch_non-free_binary-i386_
> Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
[snip]

> I have gone to http://www.tux.org/, but I don't see any info
> there that would indicate that they are having problems.
>
> I can eliminate the error by commenting out the ftp.tux.org line
> in /etc/apt/sources.list, but I don't know what packages this might
> effect.
>
> Is anybody else having problems with ftp.tux.org?

Yes.  I believe there's a note somewhere on the site about the server being
down.  I just commented out the line in sources.list.

There are mirrors; I don't know if they are doing any better.  I'm also not
entirely sure the Blackdown Java packages (at least, that's what I use the
site for) are the best way to go anymore, or are even current.  For example,
the firefox installation notes say to get java direct from Sun.  The
free javas have supposedly become quite capable too.

Ross Boylan