Re: DVD playback problems

Seeker,

If /dev/hdb is your DVD drive then it should get the ownership of
root:cdrom, not root:disk. This an identification/enumeration problem
and the proper fix would be to figure out a udev rule or whatever that
would identify it and give it the correct ownership.
Failing that the next best thing would be to create a script that runs
at boot the change the ownership.

I'm not that familiar with either of these things, but just to test the
theory try chowning the device ('chown :cdrom /dev/hdb' or 'chown
root:cdrom /dev/hdb') then playing a DVD.

Bingo. That fixed the problem. mplayer is now able to play back the DVD as the user "piers" but Xine still won't play the DVD back with the output:

piers@hinata:~$ xine
This is xine (X11 gui) - a free video player v0.99.3.
(c) 2000-2004 The xine Team.
libdvdread: Encrypted DVD support unavailable.
piers@hinata:~$

What am I doing wrong now and how do I fix this problem please?

Thanks very much for your help - much appreciated!

Regards - Piers