Re: Package installation history.

On Fri, Nov 10, 2006 at 22:09:42 +0000, Dave Ewart wrote:

> > > No I do not, but should I be?
> > >
> > > I tend to do my upgrades like this:
> > >
> > > apt-get update -u
> > >
> > > look at the list, and then do....
> > >
> > > apt-get install <packages>
> > >
> > > for things I want to do at this session. I want to be selective because I
> > > tend to only want to do certain updates after hours, just in case.
> > >

> > Yes, you should switch to aptitude.
>
> Explaining *why* you suggest using aptitude rather than apt-get might be
> helpful...

The subject of this thread names a pretty good reason already. ;)

Other arguments:

- In the beginning you can work just like you are used to simply by
  replacing "apt-get" with "aptitude" for all the command line stuff.
  Then you can explore the additional features of aptitude at your own
  pace.

- The interactive mode of aptitude is very well suited to Bob's approach
  of evaluating all intended upgrades first and only carrying out some
  of them if he prefers.

- The automatic removal of dependencies which are no longer needed is
  nice, too, if you want to activate it. The behavior regarding
  "recommends" and "suggests" can be fine-tuned as well. It has to be
  noted, though, that there can be surprises in aptitude's intended
  actions if you are not fully familiar with all the ideas behind this
  dependency handling.

- more powerful search patterns

--
Regards,