Re: Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 updated

Douglas Tutty wrote:
On Fri, Nov 10, 2006 at 05:20:55PM +0000, Chris Lale wrote:
Yuriy Padlyak wrote:
Why aptitude dist-upgrade shows some packages to update, while apt-get dist-upgrade - don't?.

[...]

I believe that this is because aptitude maintains its own record of which packages you have installed automatically and manually. If you ever use a different package manager (apt-get, synaptic), this database gets out of sync. You can get around this using "aptitude unmarkauto" - see the aptitude man page. There is also some discussion in a previous thread (http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2006/05/msg01734.html). Also, I think that aptitude installs 'recommends' as well as 'depends' dependencies.

If you choose this from the aptitude options menu.

I was assuming aptitude in CLI mode, in which case the command for unmarking automatic install is

# aptitude unmarkauto --schedule-only '~i'

For not installing 'recommends' it would seem that the switch

-R, --without-recommends

would do the trick, though I have not tested this.

--
Chris.