Re: IBM eServer x series 206 RH-to-Debian migration

On Fri, Nov 10, 2006 at 02:18:10AM -0500, Kevin Mark wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 09, 2006 at 02:34:46PM -0500, Lee Whalen wrote:
> >   Greetings all, long-time Debian user, first-time poster here.
>
> Welcome to the last OS you'll ever need X-)
>
> > So, I've got a predicament.  I need to get Debian Etch on a box that is
> > already an in-production HeadRat Enterprise server (RHEL 3.0 Typhoon 6),
> > running a few production apps (Apache with a handful of VHosts, postfix,  a
> > ticketing system we use called GForge and it's attendant Postgres database,
> > and a few NFS mounts).

Watch out for system user group and uid differences. IIRC, RedHat
finishes its "reserved for system users/real users start here" space
at a different UID. It's also probably worth running shadowconfig off on
the Red Hat box before you back up: that way at least you have plain
test to read. You may face a fair amount of chowning/chmodding of files
or creating equivalent uid/gid accounts from scratch.

> > The company I work for no longer wants
> > to pay the HeadRat extortion fee just to be able to download package
> > updates and whatnot, so I am tasked with migrating all of our HeadRat
> > servers over to Debian.
>

> >   My big question is, does Debian work with the Adaptec SATA HostRAID
> > controller that this IBM eServer x206 box has on it?  I can't seem to
> > find an Etch hardware compatability list

Bug #38800 suggests that it's been done for the newest netinsts or that
a slightly unofficial installer from ?? Kenshi Muto ?? including the
requisite modules will work. (He's a Debian developer) There are
posts on the lists about it.

> Something that everyone wants! But no one has done for various reasons.
> I think I have heard of folks running on IBM eservers on this list. search
> google with 'site:lists.debian.org ibm eserver'

Andy