Re: passwords

On Thu, Nov 09, 2006 at 13:48:11 -0500, Bob Schwartz wrote:
>  Hi,
>
> What passwords in the latest rev does one need to use to login if one did
> not set login or user passwords at the time of install, please?

There is always the superuser who can do anything on the system. The
username for this account is "root". If you did not set any password for
root then I assume an empty string, i.e. just pressing ENTER at the
password prompt, should work.

Please set a non-empty root password immediately after you log in. You
can do this with the "passwd" command. (There will be a dialog asking
for the new password twice; the password will not be displayed while you
type it to protect you against people looking over your shoulder.)

It is a bad idea to use the root account for your everyday work. You
should create a normal user by running "adduser bob" (or any other name
that you like, of course). Log on as "bob" unless you have to do
system-level stuff, for example installing packages. For such cases
there is the "su" command which lets you become root temporarily until
the task is done.

--
Regards,
          Florian