Re: jigdo-newbie question

Richard Lyons wrote:
>[...]
>> >   - What is the advantage of jigdo?  As far as I can see it
>[...]
>> If the download is interrupted, jigdo can resume, and even can
>> salvage partial files.
>
>Oh, that makes sense (but I thought some ftp clients -- lftp perhaps --
>could do that too).
>
>[...]
>> Jidgo is able to utilize files from an existing ISO image (when
>> mounted with the "loop" option) or from CDs.  So you can update the
>> image you download today, and jidgo downloads only the files which
>> have changed.
>
>Now you are talking.  That is a persuasive advantage.
>
>> A neat trick is to use jigdo to download DVD images, rather than CD
>> images, even if your need is for CDs and even if you do not have a DVD
>
>No, I was planning to burn dvds anyway.  But getting the cds this way is
>neat too.

The other advantage of using jigdo is that it spreads the downloads
out across more mirrors. Not many of our mirror sites have the disk
and bandwidth to keep *multiple* copies of Debian (normal archive plus
the same files within CD images and within DVD images). Using jigdo to
get most of your data from a local mirror should generally be faster
than grabbing full ISOs from a central site, and it's nicer to the
people who volunteer their bandwidth to host those central sites. And
that goes double immediately after a major release... :-)

Who needs computer imagery when you've got Brian Blessed?