Skype has stopped working

I am running Sarge.

Skype used to work.

Yesterday, I tried to use skype and I received the following error:

ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:812:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) The dmix plugin supports only playback stream

I then tried to record from my microphone using gramofile, and rec (from sox package). Neither of these worked. No error messages, just dead silence in the resulting.wav file. Today, I tried again (so I could get the correct error message). Skype still gave the error listed above, but both of the other two programs recorded normally. No, I did not reboot since the tests yesterday.

The output of lsmod shows the following modules loaded:

snd_intel8x0           36140  1
snd_ac97_codec         69508  1 snd_intel8x0
snd_pcm_oss            54376  0
snd_mixer_oss          19904  2 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm                97480  2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm_oss
snd_timer              25668  1 snd_pcm
snd_page_alloc         11720  2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm
gameport                4736  1 snd_intel8x0
snd_mpu401_uart         8000  1 snd_intel8x0
snd_rawmidi            25316  1 snd_mpu401_uart
snd_seq_device          8264  1 snd_rawmidi
snd 57380 9 snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device
soundcore              10336  2 snd

Does anyone have any ideas on getting skype to work again, or why the other recording programs work today, when they did not yesterday?

--
Marc Shapiro

No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.
What?! Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here.
Boom. Sooner or later ... boom!

- Susan Ivanova: B5 - Grail