Re: debianizing directories?

On Tue, Nov 07, 2006 at 04:35:00PM -0500, Kit Peters wrote:

>    Posted to debian-user *and* debian-mentors in the hope of getting a good
>    answer on this.

  Probably better suited to debian-user, but I'll leave the cc just
 on the off-chance.

>    We have chosen to do this by maintaining our own Debian repository, and
>    putting our own packages on that repository.  The boxen out in the field
>    run apt-get update ; apt-get dist-upgrade once a night.

  Seems like this might cause you issues if there is a distribution
 update - unless you mean that you're only upgrading from one
 repository (+ security.debian.org of course!)

>    .debs.  I use dupload (using scp) to upload the packages to our
>    repository.  Sometimes, though, using dupload fails - it gives me an error
>    message "scp: /var/www/apt/incoming/<package name removed>: set times: No
>    such file or directory".

  Strange error which I've not seen before.  I'd suggest looking at the
 code to see where it comes from, if google doesn't help.

>    I'm at a loss here.  I need a way to automatically distribute a directory
>    full of files to these boxen in the field.  Is dpkg/apt not the way to do
>    it?

  It seems to me that the obvious solution here is to get the client
 machines to do a pull.  Since you're already using a cron-job, or
 similar, to do "apt-get update ... " you could instead do:

   /etc/cron.daily/pull-updates

  In that file you'd use rsync to copy files from the master, and
 then run make install.  Assuming you have SSH + keybased logins
 setup your script could look like this:

 #!/bin/sh
 # pull from central site, and update.
 rsync -e ssh -azr dist@master-site.example.com:/usr/local/packages /usr/local/packages
 cd /usr/local/packages && make install

  That avoids creating packages which seems to be the middle step which
 is causing you issues, and still allows the local sites to pull down
 updates and install them in a controlled and repeatable fashion.

Steve