Re: Is a kernel upgrade necessary ?

Ralph Katz wrote:
> On 11/07/2006 10:50 AM, Nicolas Pillot wrote:
>

>> - P75 is i586. does apt-get choose the right architecture ?
>>  if not, should i select 2.4.x-x-386 or 2.4.x-x-586tsc (named
>> "Pentium-Classic") ?
>>  I'd say the later.
>>
>> - finally, there is no 2.6.x-x-586tsc. If i want 2.6, do i have to go
>> "back"
>>  to i386 ? Would this be a problem "performance" wise ? In this case,
>>  would it be a possible option to compile the latest kernel on the 586 ?
>
> Last year I installed sarge on a basic Pentium 200 Mhz with 96 Mb.  The
> kernel image 2.4.27 586 was much faster for its desktop use than the 2.6
> 386 kernel, using sarge binaries.  (The box is no longer used.)
>
> There were no problems going from 2.4 to 2.6 and back, other than normal
> config file changes for sound, mouse, etc.
>
>> - i have no quick physical access on that machine and i'm planning to
>>  do the upgrade via ssh. Would there be any special pb ?
>
> I don't know, but obviously it's your most important question!
>
> Regards,
> Ralph

Make sure the kernels are all from the same libc version. Not sure how
you can check for the precompiled kernels as libc will change on various
upgrades, but if you are compiling your own then you should be able to
switch them very easily.
If you are uninstalling then be careful that the default entry in your
bootloader is still valid before you restart, and if compiling your own
don't forget ide and filesystem modules!

Anton

--
email: anton@piatek.co.uk	home: 02380 557 995
mobile:	07900 951 627		work: 01962 816 557