kernel version conflict when building hsf drivers

Hi list,

I use the hsf drivers from linuxant to run my stupid winmodem. It
works fine typically, but I have to rebuild the modules with every
kernel upgrade. it actually does it automatically on the first boot of
a new kernel and is mostly a seamless operation.

okay, so the recent upgrade to

Linux basement 2.6.18-1-k7 #1 SMP Sat Oct 21 18:09:11 UTC 2006 i686
GNU/Linux

has given me problems.

here are the results of trying to build the modules with judicious
snipping:

andrew@basement:~$ sudo hsfconfig
Password:
Conexant HSF softmodem driver, version 7.47.00.01full
No pre-built modules for: Debian-4.0 linux-2.6.18-1-k7 i686-SMP

Trying to automatically build the driver modules...
(this requires a C compiler and proper kernel sources to be installed)

Where is the linux source build directory that matches your running
kernel?
[/lib/modules/2.6.18-1-k7/build]

WARNING: the kernel version () defined in
/lib/modules/2.6.18-1-k7/build/include/linux/version.h
does not match the currently running kernel (2.6.18-1-k7)
The cause of this problem is an incorrect kernel source path.
Please check that /lib/modules/2.6.18-1-k7/build points to the right
tree.
The cause of this is usually a missing or unconfigured
kernel source tree (and sometimes an incorrect directory or symbolic
link).

okay, so a quick look at version.h

andrew@basement:~$ cat
/lib/modules/2.6.18-1-k7/build/include/linux/version.h
#define LINUX_VERSION_CODE 132626
#define KERNEL_VERSION(a,b,c) (((a) << 16) + ((b) << 8) + (c))

huh? I don't know how to parse this and a very shallow google didn't
tell me enough.

I've purged the linux-headers and linux-source packages and
reinstalled (linux-headers-2.6.18-1-k7) but no luck.

My concern here is that hsfconfig program is right and I have somehow
bolloxed up my versioning, or perhaps there's a bug and this
particular program catches it when others might not.

how do I parse that version.h and how does it relate to the output of
uname?